Resting has always been a vital aspect for the human being. However, sometimes it is not given the attention it deserves. Whether for work, academic, social reasons, among others, there are those who do not give their body enough time to recover.
According to the specialized health portal MedlinePlus, the human being needs several hours of sleep to restore the brain and body in general. In that sense, he warns that not getting enough sleep can be detrimental to health.
Having good sleep habits allow the body and brain to recover after a long day of activity. In addition, it helps the person improve their alertness and relate better to other people.
Regarding the recommended sleep range, this varies depending on each person. However, MedlinePlus reports that Most adults need seven to eight hours of sleep a night for good health.
Not getting enough sleep can increase your risk of developing irritability, problems with social relationships, depression, anxiety and, of course, tiredness during the day.
Additionally, several studies have found that not sleeping well increases the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, obesity, type 2 diabetes, among other diseases.
Infusions to sleep better
If problems appear to fall asleep or stay asleep at night, it is convenient to analyze what could be affecting the rest period of each person. If this is the case, it is advisable to go to a medical specialist to obtain an accurate diagnosis and define the appropriate action plan.
As usual, alternative medicine also offers some options to improve sleep habits through infusions with natural products. Therefore, the portal better with health shares some recipes that can help you sleep peacefully.
- Chamomile and linden infusion: Linden is recognized as a natural sedative, while chamomile is used in home remedies to relieve stomach problems.
- Lemon balm infusion: From the flowers and leaves of lemon balm you can prepare an infusion to help you sleep better, taking advantage of its calming and antispasmodic qualities.
- Passionflower and valerian infusion: Valerian is traditionally used as a calming agent that helps, for example, to reduce nerves and anxiety. For its part, passionflower contains natural anxiolytics and can act as tranquilizers.
Taking into account that not all organisms react in the same way, It is advisable to consult with a medical specialist before trying any of these home remedies for better sleep.
Recommendations to improve sleep habits
MedlinePlus shares the following routines to improve sleep habits and rest better during periods intended for sleep:
- Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
- Avoid caffeine, especially in the afternoon and evening.
- Avoid nicotine.
- Exercise regularly, but not too late.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages before bed.
- Avoid heavy meals and drinks at night.
- Do not take naps after 3:00 p.m.
- Relax before bedtime, for example by taking a bath, reading, or listening to soft music.
- Keep the bedroom cool.
- Get rid of distractions like noise, bright lights, and the TV or computer in the bedroom.
- Get enough sun during the day.
- See a doctor if you have constant trouble sleeping. In careful cases, it could be a sleep disorder, such as insomnia or sleep apnea.
“In some cases, your doctor may suggest using prescription or over-the-counter sleep medications. In other cases, you may order a sleep study to diagnose the problem,” notes MedlinePlus.